RE: [RC] Shoot the Clones - NOT - Tracey Lomax

Kat wrote:

I cannot agree. _I_ am of the opinion that the world has a good chace
of
being a much better place if people were to go back to dying younger.
This, too, would spare people from sufering pain, anxiety, and misery
from some of the awful diseases we have nowadays.

Perhaps in the short term.  IME and IMO however, youth is wasted on the
youth.  There's no substitute for the wisdom which comes from age and I
can't help wondering how much wisdom (for the good of all) would be lost
if we were to follow this approach?

The answer to the problem of over-population is not to allow the elderly
to die (wasn't that part of Hitler's solution, by the way??) but to
ensure that population control is implemented, and to raise the
standards of living for those who are worst-affected by poverty and
disease.  It's easy for us to sit on our lap-tops, drinking our
chardonnay and looking at our horses to say that "people" in
impoverished countries shouldn't be allowed to breed.  We presume that
it's a choice for them : I can assure you, it seldom is.  Rape is real.
Lack of birth control is real.  High infant death rates are real.

To make it a bit more endurance related, I think horses would be
better
off to if there were fewer measures taken in an attempt to lengthen
their life spans.

Again, I disagree.  A longer life span comes as a direct result of good
care, and as long as I own a horse I have a responsibility to offer him
the best care.  I'm not sure how I should "take fewer measures to
lengthen his life span" and at the same time try to keep him fit and
sound?

And I'm not an advocate of "letting them linger when their time has
gone", but I don't think that's what's being discussed here?

Tracey
(who thinks that "medical ethology" is one of the worst perversions to
hit the world")