Re: [RC] Tip your farrier???? - SandyDSA

In a message dated 4/1/2006 6:36:35 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, margrott@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Tipping.  It was originally intended for those who make a substandard wage due to the regulations provided for waitstaff. Why, all of a sudden, do we think that we have to tip everybody?  Nobody tips me!  And I don't tip people who make a living wage.  I always give my farrier and others who have helped me throughout the year a Christmas present.  Tipping has been distorted. Appreciation is different from tipping.
I am with you - I don't understand this weird and compulsive desire to tip everyone from the garbage collector to the 17 year olds who wrap up your Quiznos sandwich. I get particularly bugged by those jars that are getting all too common in just about every shop you go into - some big jar that just says "tips". Tips?  For what? Doing a job they are already being paid to do? I would go a step further as has been discussed ad nauseum on some talk radio shows and state that if one wants to make MORE than minimum wage, go out, go to school better your skills and then FIND a better job. One talk host a few months ago stated that in GENERAL, people are paid what they are worth. A very good desk clerk at the dry cleaners who fills out slips and hangs up the clothes and barely graduated from high school should NEVER make what someone who has even an AA in Business Admin and is managing a Mann's Theater. Just simple economics. When I was in retail, we were not ALLOWED to accept tips ever - and we were paid commission or minimum wage, whatever was greater. BTW, we did NOT sell merchandise to people unless it was what they indicated they wanted - because if they brought it BACK, it came OFF of our totals:). Not every sales person on commission is out to sell you things you don't want - just to make a buck.

Long winded I know, but sheesh, this obsessive tipping drives me nuts. Tipping is for extraordinary service and is VOLUNTARY. See below:

Cheers!

T.I.P. - "To Insure Promptness" or "To Insure Prompt" service