[RC] ill horsey - Kathie Ford

Hi all, just wanted to give everybody a heads up as I just found out my neighbors horse is also under the weather with same symptoms as my horse including temperature of 102.  We are in Auburn/Grass Valley area.  Neither horse is really outside of its living area either.  So no contact with others via water troughs at staging areas etc, basically only with their own herds.  Other horses on the property both theirs and ours are find so far.  Mine is a 6 y/o arab and theirs is an older QH mare (maybe 12?) not sure.

They are taking their mare to Loomis to pull some bloodwork for her as well just to cover all the bases.

Just thought it was very strange.

Also neither of our horses (theirs and mine) have ever had contact of any kind with each other, both horses very easy keepers and never been sick before, very hardy.  No blankets, no shoes, keeps weight too easy etc.

Only environmental difference is they have grass pasture and we do not.  I'm going to ask where they got their hay though see if there is similarities to that.

FYI only so everybody can keep an eye on their horses.

By the way, if I hadn't noticed my horse with slight muscle tremors the other morning I may not have taken her temp nor thought she was ill. This is very subtle illness.  You can miss it if you don't watch them.

kathie