RE: [RC] Tip your Farrier?? - Rae Callaway

I’ve never tipped mine (I have 7 now, was 12, so my bill was quite huge).  What I do, though, is be there and make sure the horses are caught and stand for him.  I supply fans and ice water in the heat of the summer and Betadine for him to wash his hands with after (his request.)  He’s great.  He comes on schedule every three weeks as we’ve got the herd split so it’s not a huge job each time.  I also have boarders, so he has about 5-7 horses each group.  I’ve gone through the bad farrier roulette before and am thankful to have found him.  Some of these guys never show up, never answer calls, show up drunk or late, get abusive to the youngsters when they get scared, etc.  A good farrier is worth his weight in gold.

Rae

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Karla Watson
Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2006 12:15 AM
To: RIDECAMP
Subject: [RC] Tip your Farrier??

Anyone tip their farrier?? With money that is. I'm a hairstylist and get tips all the time but wondered if it was appropriate or expected to tip your farrier. I never do but maybe I should? I have to pay for THREE endurance horses so I already GASP as it is when I write my farrier check!

--------Karla Watson/Portland, Oregon