Re: [RC] Shoot the Clones - NOT! - Truman Prevatt

When Einstein said, "It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity" he was addressing the advent of the use of the great energy locked inside the atom for the potential destruction of mankind.

Physics at that time gave us a great conundrums. However, dealing with the conundrums of nuclear physics is child's play compared to that the biologist have shoved front and center. The cloning has been a natural technological evolution since man first unraveled the structure of the DNA/RNA molecule in the 60's -a feat that ironically based base on foundations laid by Einstein that led to the development of the use of Xray diffraction as one of the main tools in understanding the DNA/RNA molecule. .

The potential benefits of cloning technology to aid mankind are stunning - the potential for abuses are also stunning. I sure hope our ethical system is sufficient as we traverse the long and potential slippery slope. One thing for sure is like any technology - it is not the science or the technology that is the issue it is the ability of the society to use it for good.

I don't know if cloning horses is good, bad or indifferent - I suspect more indifferent than anything else. It will, however, add to the knowledge base. Is that good? This whole question is a question of ethics - not science.

Truman

Alison Farrin wrote:

Based on what argument?
They are still horses.  They are the exact genetic material that is
registerable in the original.  They are not the same animal - genetic
expression is affected by fetal development.

Regular horses differ in environment and training.  This is not a valid
argument not to accept clones for the same reason.
You said that cloned animal have serious health flaws.  So do regular animals.
We alleviate that by having lots of horses to experiment with and breed out or
manage things like CID or HYPP.  They only way to achieve that in cloned horses
is too make the cost of creating them cheap enough to have lots of them to work
out the problems.

Let there be light.  The more knowledge we have, the more opportunity we have.
Every breed organization and equine sport should embrace cloning.  Not doing so
appears to me to be sticking one's head in the sand.

Alison A. Farrin

--

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." - Bertrand Russell