Re: [RC] Acid foods - RDCARRIE

In a message dated 3/29/2006 3:06:43 PM Central Standard Time, ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

A number of 'Lyte formulas contain basic ingredients like Calcium Carbonate.
If mixed with an acid carrier like applesauce, the acid will neutralize the
base.  In the formulations I use this happens relatively slowly.  If I mix
applesauce and 'Lytes by the next day it has changed color and is a bit
gelled.  Eventually, the carbonate will turn to carbondioxide gas and leave
the mix.

So...if one mixes elytes with applesauce, and has some left over, is it ok to store the extra mixture in the fridge for a couple of weeks till the next ride when it might be needed?

Dawn in East Texas