Re: [RC] [RC] 305 forerunner - April

Just to clarify, Roger's kit does NOT require any cutting or splicing of wires. It is a very nice solution to use any human heart rate monitor for a horse using the nice wide flat electrodes. The kit does not void the warranty and does not require any special knowledge or skill to put together.

As to compact units all in the watch, I'm unsure what Steve means. The Forerunner units are all just watches with a HRM strap. Granted, they're a bit big, but they are all one piece. Timex GPS systems, on the other hand, are 4 parts strong (watch, hrm, gps receiver, data logger).

Personally, I prefer my Garmin 301 or the new 305 because all the data is integerated and can be uploaded to the computer for analysis and logging.

Not to mention, I can just look at the one unit while riding. :-)

The 301 units are a nice price these days. $180 from Amazon. Plus Roger's adapter kit. About $235 for a complete set up. I paid more than that for my Forerunner 201 and my basic horse hrm. The 305s are pricier (about $405 for the complete setup) but promise more workout capabilities (like racing yourself or somebody else!) and better satellite reception in wooded and urban areas, just to mention 2 of the upgrades. Oh, and if you bike as one of your cross-training exercises, you can get a cadence unit for the 305 for an additional $50 or so.

April
Nashville, TN