Re: [RC] cough - heidi larson

Is her hay dusty Todd?  Could you soak it a bit before feeding her?  That would help.  I have an older gelding that develops a cough every fall, this year it has not really completely gone away, my hay is rather dusty though and he also lays on the wet ground sometimes which I think makes it worse.  I am putting him in a sheet for that purpose, but do need to take more time to soak his hay I think.  I also switched to pelleted bedding and that may have helped a little bit.  He mostly does it when I let him out and after he rolls in the AM, or if it's extremely cold.  No runny nose or eyes, just a dry cough occasionally.  Not giving it to anyone else in the barn either. Last time my stepdaughter rode him, he was fine except for one stretch that he ran and got competitive, not wanting my horse to pass him and she had to hold him back more than normal, he got to coughing a bit then also.  Might have been the girth being tight or the position of his head/neck and of course his airways trying to take in more oxygen as he was trying to race.
heidi

Todd Hezeau <maccwall@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Came back from our last endurance ride, gave my mare her usual week off and started back with our routine this morning and has developed a cough. It is not a wet cough and she has no nasty mucous coming out of her nose or mouth and she does not seem to be struggling to breathe, just a dry cough every now and then. This is a new issue that has never happened before with her. I actually noticed it last Thursday when I was messing with her at my barn. (I board) she coughed a few times. One person suggested that she be scoped, other said it could be allergies. I have not had this mare for very long (8 months) and she has never displayed this before. I'm thinking of waiting till the end of the week and if it doesn't clear up I'll take her up to the vet. Figured I'd post this and see what ya'll thought.

Safe Riding,
Todd