[RC] Hay Cubes - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Lauretta tikitiki69@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have a side question re feeding hay cubes, specifically right
after a ride.  I have not fed them myself, but have thought of
taking them on a long ride that might not have much readily
available food (ie grass etc) on the trail that the horse can
grab and eat when moving.  However, I have seen horses choking
at a ride on two separate instances (one where they had to tube
the horse, one where the horse managed to dislodge the block
themselves)and both times a hay cube was the culprit.  I am not
saying that feeding them is bad, but am just wondering that,
when right after a ride when a horse is REALLY hungry, if they
do not chew them as thoroughly as they should and then try to
swallow them when the size of the food is still too big to
easily do so, as opposed to in a "at home" normal feeding
situation, they would take their time to chew it and it would
not be an issue?  Granted, the same thing could happen w/ other
feeds (large pieces of carrots or something similar) and two
horses is in no way are large number of instances to deduce any-
thing definitive, but possibly if partially chewed the pieces
would have edges on them that might cause them to stick in the
throat?  Would appreciate any insight from someone more
experienced with this type of feed; thanks

Lauretta and Shaba (who will hoover food anytime, anywhere, that
is not tied down..especially if it does not belong to him :)>