Re: [RC] [RC] Fwd: Kansas City Star Covers Race - Magnumsmom

If it's run like the XP or the Iditarod with strict veterinary
controls and well conditioned animals that's one thing.  But
there has been no mention of any of that.  Plus the fact
that each rider will supposedly bring 10 horses.  However,
they will have to be under someone else's control for the
majority of this ride.  At the XP ride the horses were under
the direct observation of the rider and their crew for the
entire ride.  At the Iditarod the musher cares for all of his
dogs for the entire trail.

However, the "format" for this ride appears to be that the
riders will switch horses.  That would mean riding one horse
and then leaving it behind as you take off on the next one.
There is no mention of drug controls, vet controls, or care
for the horses coming in hot.  With $100,000 at stake, you
know they will come in hot.  Knowing what we do, how many
do you think will colic?  What about lameness?  I don't
think every single one of 1000 horses will survive, but then
unfortunately the Iditarod loses dogs every year too.  There
should, however, be an effort put into place to celebrate the
horses during an event like this... like the Iditarod celebrates
the trail dog who loves the harness... but I just don't see it in
this article.

It's about April now.  This is supposed to run in September.
How many people have 10 horses that would be in shape by
then to make this trip?  For the people interested in riding
for the $100,000, how many of them do you think will even
have a clue about conditioning even one horse to make this
trip?   I'd love to ride the trail too, but this is not the way to
do it if you want to avoid dead horses.

Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM