Re: [RC] Ol' Time E'olytes - DVeritas

In a message dated 3/27/2006 9:57:01 A.M. Mountain Standard Time, skyranch@xxxxxxxx writes:
Question - it seems to me that if a horse is not drinking well, the last thing you'd want to do is give him electrolytes.

Am I wrong?
Hi Carla,

    I don't typically give electrolytes to a horse who is not "drinking well".

    Some folks have indicated that they give electrolytes in an attempt to induce a "drink response" in the horse.

     I've never done that, as for me, it's never been indicated.
     I have been successful in never getting myself in the situation of having to divine whether a horse needs help in getting to drink, or whether I should dose a horse who hasn't drank "well".
     If I'm riding along at a reasonable pace for the horse and the conditions, and he doesn't drink, I believe the horse and just keep going along until he does drink.  THEN, I apply my sooper-dooper, double-secret dose of electrolytes via my sooper-dooper, double-secret delivery system.
     And, I wouldn't know if you're "wrong" or not....only your horse could answer that question.
:^))
Frank