RE: [RC] Ol' Time E'olytes - heidi

So,
       1.  Horse eating voraciously.....check
       2.  Drinks readily....check
       3.  Going at speeds which replicate conditioning speeds....check
       4.  No obvious pain issues....check
       5.  Hanging pulse, malaise, lack of interest, dark urine,
etc.....ELECTROLYTE MANAGEMENT just might be the issue.

Pretty good synopsis, other than I wouldn't assume e-lyte management as
the first issue (although it COULD be an issue) with dark urine,
either.

If condition 2 presents, in that he DOESN'T DRINK READILY, does one ASSUME
that electrolytes are an issue, or does one move to condition 3 and CONSIDER
that slowing down might be a consideration if the horse and rider have gotten
sucked up in "get 'er done", or maybe condition 4?

No, I don't assume that e-lytes are the issue if the horse doesn't drink
readily.  I tend to think more along the lines of stress and not being
trained to drink, many times much like the horse and rider you
described in your other post.  Many riders don't take the time in
training or in the early rides with a horse to ingrain drinking as a
habit.  I also think the tendency to start horses on LD rides
exacerbates this--as many horses can breeze through that without
drinking, much to their detriment.  But since they get to stop, they
don't necessarily reach a point where they start to rethink their trail
conduct.  Your previous post about stopping, getting off, loosening the
girth, etc. was excellent--and that sort of approach is what is needed
particularly in newer horses.  Old campaigners who have been properly
brought along will stand and guzzle with you on their backs--but they
don't necessarily start out that way.

THINKING RIDERS are the key.  There is no AUTOMATIC "cause and effect"
here...rider awareness still becomes the key, as with most things
"endurance".

Yep, I agree.

Heidi