[RC] [Fwd: Chaffhaye] - Bruce Weary

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Chaffhaye
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 15:51:34 -0700
From: Bruce Weary <bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Jnrthrnlt75@xxxxxxx

  On the Chaffhaye, I get it for 7.50 for a 50 lb bag. Sounds like a lot, but it goes farther and has more nutrition than grass hay. It's also 50% moisture by weight, because they package it when it has only been cured and dried down to that level, as opposed to hay which ends up at maybe 10% or less moisture. This means that "as fed" the protein content is only 9-10% and half of each mouthful is WATER. Good for endurance horses, I think. I notice my horses have less need for water on workouts lately, and pee more often. Not to mention the natural yeasts it contains (they are not added). It has a very nice sweet silage smell, and is guaranteed if a bag gets damaged. Some of you might worry, and rightly so, about a fermented product going bad. Not a problem. It is very well packaged and you really have to stab it with  a knife or something to breach the plastic. It comes out of the package as a giant, slightly damp, compressed "loaf" and the horses love it, but do no overeat it by any means. They are satisfied sooner, and, in addition, I leave out free choice Bermuda for them to graze on. I have no weight problems, either to fat or too thin, on any of my horses, and they all run together in a big corral. Oh, and their manure is significantly reduced.
  The alfalfa is harvested very early, at its highest nutritional stage, and with maximum leaf and minimum stem. And, it's still basically in long-stem form, and opposed to ground up like pellets.  So far, so good. I would be interested to see some other endurance riders try it and hear how their horses do with it. It's very easy to transport, and stores for up to two years, guaranteed. Interesting side note-- the original product was designed by the Queen of England herself to feed her expensive hunter-jumpers when they traveled, in order to avoid colic from strange feeds. It caught on overseas, and apparently is growing like gangbusters here in the states with virtually no marketing, which I'm told is changing soon. Check out the Chaffhaye website. That's the farm report for this evening. I'm Dr. Quackenbush, I'll see you right here next week, same time, same channel.