RE: [RC] for those who use electrolytes...help those newbies - heidi

I'll summarize what I heard. Some may also be from discussions with Art
King.  The horse evolved eating feed stuffs with high levels of
potassium - grass. Because of that they have developed - those that
survived - the ability to dump potassium through the kidney. This is
different from humans who developed on a higher sodium diet and that's
an important difference when comparing human electrolytes with that
required for horses.

So far, so good.  Would add, however, that the kidneys can regulate
their dumping of potassium to some extent, and since it cannot be
stored in the bloodstream as such, if excess is present (say, when you
pre-load before going to the ride), the kidneys will be in "dump mode."
Therefore, when you start adding stress and sweating to the combination
(see comments below) you cause even more loss of potassium.  If, on the
other hand, you arrive at the ride site with kidneys not primed to
"dump" potassium, the urinary loss will be minimized.  (Note, too, that
horses do continue to eat and take in postassium with every bite of
forage they consume.)

What was discussed was how the electrolytes work in the body at the
cellular level and how they are distributed inside/outside the cell.
Sodium carries the" message" for the cells to fire. Before the cell
fires a large percentage of the ions inside the cell is potassium.
Potassium sets the resting threshold potential for cells to fire. After
the cells fire there is a large percentage of sodium ions inside the
cell. There is a "pump" on each cell that runs off of ATP (energy) that
pumps the sodium and the potassium back in. With out a proper balance on
sodium and potassium the cells will not function properly.

Again, so far so good, at least in relationship to nerves and muscles.
And although other cells don't necessarily "fire" they do have a
similar intracellular and extracellular milieu.

The sodium also plays a role in maintaining the fluid balance in the
body which is also related to the blood pressure. The chloride ions
provide electrical neutrality. When the body senses a critical loss of
sodium it has built in mechanism (the hormone aldosterone) for the
kidney to reabsorb sodium ions. This comes at a cost since to maintain
electrical neutrality the kidney dumps another positively charged ion -
potassium. This in turn impact the sodium/potassium balance required for
proper functioning of the cells.

Yes, true.  But keep in mind the full horse who has a dietary reserve of
both sodium and potassium waiting in the hindgut for just that
eventuality--that's the way the beast is designed.

Aldosterone is a hormone that is also released by stress - hence during
stress the kidney is maintaining sodium at the expense of potassium.

Again, potassium is the one that the horse replaces most readily by
continuing to eat forages, never mind his storage "vat" in the hindgut.

Now what does that mean.

1. Horses sweat about the same concentration of electrolytes as in the
plasma. Horses have no way or recapturing the ions from their sweat so
they lose a lot of electrolytes. Done believe it taste the sweat of a
horse.

Recapturing the same ions?  No, of course not.  Instead, they eat new
ones continually with their food, in addition to their storage as per
the above.

2. Stress is bad. Maybe horses don't physically acclimate (I've never
heard of such of a process) to not needing as many electrolytes it is
most likely that their stress levels are reduced at a ride instead.
Stress hormones would also explain why horses lose more at the beginning
of ride when the stress is the highest.

No, stress in and of itself is not bad--just TOO MUCH stress is bad.
Some stress is necessary to cause adaptation.  That's what conditioning
does--not just to bones, muscles, etc. but also to metabolic systems.
And yes, horses DO adapt--at least to some extent--given the
opportunity to do so over time and repetition of the experiences.  This
also plays a role in selection and is becoming a topic in modern horse
breeding--in many of the light horse breeds, modern breeders have
selected for a "look" and a particular response in the show ring that
is apparently tied into this whole stress/hormonal axis.  It has
ramifications not only with regard to this subject, but is also being
investigated with regard to reproduction, etc.  (Hormones tend not to
exist in a vacuum--alterations of hormones in one system have an impact
on hormones in other systems.)

I'll add another comment from personal observation for which I don't
have controlled scientific studies to back, just lots and lots of
horses at rides--but I suspect that there is a correlation between
those horses who have heart rates that don't react adversely to being
startled or stimulated and those who don't need e-lytes.  Both are
reactions to stress.  Those horses who constantly jolt themselves with
adrenaline tend to be those who spike high pulses when the wind blows a
plastic bag through camp and also tend to be those horses who require
e-lytes.  Would love to be able to design a study to look at such
interrelationships--if only there were the $$ for funding...

3. The impact of stress related hormones takes  a couple of days to
subside so some electrolyte supplementation is necessary for a day a two
after the ride.

Again, a very individual thing--those horses who don't have a problem to
begin with don't need the followup, either.  But I'd agree that for
those horses that need e-lytes, post-ride e-lyte care makes a lot more
sense than pre-ride loading, since the loading will simply set the
kidneys up to be in "dump mode" when the horse most needs to conserve.

4. The body is designed to dump excess electrolytes and arrive at the
proper balance. The number I have heard by several people is two hours.
The electrolytes given two hours ago if not needed are gone. The body
does not store electrolytes.

Again, depends on how you define "body."  Certainly this is true of what
e-lytes are in the circulation or have been absorbed into the
extracellular or intracellular spaces.  But if you include the hindgut
as being a part of the "body" (some very precise definitions do say
that the gut is "outside" the body in this very sense) then indeed
there is considerable storage.  So while yes, there is no storage once
e-lytes are absorbed (and yes, they are dumped, which once again leads
one to question the rationale of pre-loading), it is wrong to assume
that one must automatically be sticking directly into the mouth what
has just been lost in sweat in order for the horse to maintain the
balance, since there IS a considerable reservoir in the hindgut.  If
the horse did NOT have such a reserve, his balance would be fragile
indeed and he would not be very useful as an athlete at much of
anything.  (Odds are he'd be dead as a species as well.)

5. If you ride 20 miles before you electrolyte you will have a 20 mile
imbalance. If you only ride 10 before you electrolyte you will only have
a 10 mile imbalance. Imbalance is not good and massive doses that might
be required to correct a 20 mile imbalance may not be good - so small
doses often rather than large doses not so often.

How do you figure?  Is his hindgut empty?  I should hope not!  Indeed,
one may see some dips in the e-lyte levels early on due to the hormonal
influences you state, but EVEN IF YOU DON'T GIVE EXOGENOUS E-LYTES he
will equilibrate again, because he will begin to draw from his hindgut
reserves to make up the difference.  As the horse settles into the work
and the excitement phase wears off, he begins to manage his e-lytes once
again without the hormonal drain.  And if he continues to eat, all goes
along quite normally.  I'm talking the normal, healthy horse here that
is a) initially suited to his work, b) adequately conditioned to his
work, and c) ridden to the level of his suitability and conditioning.

6. Someone I think Angie asked about horses, ulcers and electrolytes.
The comments were the are absorber rapidly and in small doses should not
be a problem The speaker who is a professor in medical school went on to
say in humans ulcers are quite common - in fact about half to two thirds
of us are walking around with one but it is only a clinical problem in a
small proportion. She didn't see why that was not true in horses so it's
not so much the fact that there is an ulcer but the impact of the ulcer.
Again small doses often is the better way to go.

Small doses, and doses in food.  Keep in mind that ulcers are not the
only issues.  Horses are losing fluids in that sweat as well, and if
one gives too many e-lytes in a time frame that the horse cannot or
will not make up the fluid deficit that one is causing, one causes
dehydration at the tissue level so that the horse can process the
e-lytes in the gut.  Not a good thing.  Additionally, imbalances can
occur without careful attention to what e-lytes are going in (and
whether those are the ones that should be).  And all too often, horses
that "hit the wall" due to energy problems instead of e-lyte problems
have their problems further compounded by addition of e-lytes that can
cause them to further back off of the very eating that they need to
make up their energy deficits.  (Food of course provides e-lytes AND
energy....)

Myself I electrolyte often. I will not go over 15 miles - without giving
electrolytes. I do not give a full does at one time. On the trail I give
a half a dose. In check I have some P&F in the feed (about half a dose)-
my horses will gladly eat feed with P&F in it. They are getting
electrolytes all during the hold. Then when I go back out I give the
other half dose when I go out on trail.

I start the day before the horses climb on the trailer with some in the
feed. The get some in the feed till they start. Depending on the ride
and weather I will preload or not before I start. They get electrolytes
in the feed till I get home and then a little in the feed once a day
when I get home.

You do this automatically without first determining a given horse's
needs?  Or is this simply your protocol for a given horse, since you
indicate below that you have horses with different needs?  Again, this
is the sort of statement that comes across to newbies as a "have to"
sort of statement, when in fact they need to learn a lot more and
decide through the course of the conditioning and beginning of
competing of their own individual horses if this is something they need
to do or not.  And it is this sort of "mindset" that we need to be
questioning.  Such statements need to be prefaced with "I have found
that my horse needs blah blah blah," providing of course that you have
actually ridden without sufficiently to determine if that IS actually
what your horse needs.

I will electrolyte after a long hard training ride in hot weather.

Well, better than before...  But again, as Joe mentioned, you lose some
of the training effect by doing so.

I did learn that my old mare did not require as much electrolytes as the
Jbird. If I am riding in the west I only give about a half to 2/3'rds
the amount I give in the east. I still give them as often - just not as
much when I give them. If I give the same amount as I give in the east,
my horse will sure pee a lot on the trail which is natures way of
balancing the system.

Well, yes and no.  "Nature" is indeed striving to balance--but why
imbalance it in the first place?  Never mind that it takes more water
to dilute all that excess e-lyte out, so you may actually be causing
dehydration by "forcing" the need to eliminate all those extra e-lytes.

As far as electrolyting a dehydrated horse. If my horse is too
dehydrated to be given electrolytes - he/she is too dehydrated to
continue so for me it's pretty much a moot point.

Oh, absolutely!  I agree!

However, a dehydrated
horse can develop an electrolyte deficiency by drinking a lot of water
without being given small doses of electrolytes during the rehydration
process.

Which is precisely the scenario that is set up by overuse of
e-lytes--the horse strives valiantly to get rid of the excess (in order
to stay alive) by diluting them sufficiently to pee them out, and then
once that equilibrium is maintained, the horse can indeed get into
trouble by trying valiantly to replace the lost fluids...

Heidi