[RC] Outdoor Arena Footing (and base) - Stacy Sadar

Searched the archives but didn't come up with what I needed....

For those of you who have an OUTDOOR arena, I would like to know what you have found to be the best designed arena with regards to the base to the top dressing for the footing.  Trying to see what you have found that works best.

The current area that I'm looking at is mostly a clay base with very little top soil since this was all fill before.  I'm thinking that after leveling everything out with drainage around the edges I would lay driveway fabric down first then some larger stone like a 57 size, then lock that down with crushed limestone then top it all with the crushed limestone (the stuff that does not pack down).  This way I will have a solid surface that won't sink into the mud but still have drainage and loose top dressing for riding.  The other question is just how many inches of footing do you ride in....2-3 or 4-6?  I don't like it too deep since it's just inviting suspensory problems.

What's worked for you?

Thanks,
Stacy