RE: [RC] Fw: [CTR] Electrolytes revisited - heidi

 What really bothers me is that no one but Tom Ivers has bothered to
 mention to riders that it takes energy to get electrolytes to go into
 the proper places--and that dumping more and more e-lytes into a horse
 that is in an energy deficit actually sets up problems instead of
 solving them.

 Heidi,
 What you say is true...but you're jumping to the drastic conclusion that the
horses being elyted are in major energy deficits.  You're not the only one
with horses that eat well at rides!!!

On the contrary, Dawn, nowhere have I stated that ALL horses being
e-lyted are in an energy deficit, nor have I offered any "conclusions"
that would indicate that I think that.

As you admit, what I say is true--and many horses that ARE in an energy
deficit are offered e-lytes instead, given the prevalence of thinking
that somehow "all horses in metabolic trouble must have an electrolyte
deficit."  It simply isn't true, and I would like folks to THINK before
they just reflexly dump more in.

Remember, Dawn, I stated that if your horse DOES eat voraciously, and
drinks well, and doesn't have pain issues, THEN the lack of performance
may indeed be due to an e-lyte deficit.  Which clearly is contrary to
what you are trying to extrapolate above from my comments.  (This is
indeed the case of the one horse of ours that we MAY need to consider
an e-lyte protocol for--he eats just great, but still has occasional
pulse issues.  But what I'm not entirely sure about yet is whether
we've asked him for more than what we have conditioned him to do--which
is the other joker in the deck.)

Dawn, I am fully aware that some horses eat just fine when given
e-lytes.  That's great.  But I'm also aware that many don't--which
seems to be news to some of you.

Heidi