[RC] Just one rider's input on elytes - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Mary Howell mkhowell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've been competing for 6 years & 3000 miles in the NE & SE regions and
wouldn't dream of doing a ride without electrolytes, although I try to be
careful not to overdose. I did this last May at Biltmore - gave a double dose
by accident at one hold - and my veteran horse got crampy out on trail.
Fortunately my friend Jen who was riding him that day had the wisdom to slow
down a bit and ride him through it.

  JMHO for those concerned about electrolytes:

1. Horses sweat in a way that is qualitatiovely differently than humans -
I read somewhere that they excrete much more minerals than we do, I think
magnesium was one of them. I  typically use 4 doses for a 50 mile ride,
including the one right before starting, and 7-8 doses for a 100 miler.
2. Although many administer doses during the hold, there's a big advantage to
giving them out on trail, especially right after the horse takes a big drink.
I like the 3-dose Lyte-Now because it doesn't mess up my saddlebags like
homemade. Dose midway through long loops that take more than 2.5 hours ride
time or are over 20 miles, especially on 100 milers. When I've felt queasy,
especially on rides where I'm off & running w/my horse, I give myself a small
squirt and it seems to help.
3. I have a bulky, hot-running 1/2 QH and try to minimize the amount of
sweating my he does by keeping his neck soaked with 4 waterbottles I carry on
board. Just because your horse's neck is dry doesn't mean he's not sweating,
although water-squirting may be unnecessary for full Arabs.
4. Ever since an well-known ODer gave me this tip, I mix my elytes with lemon
yogurt  - cuts the saltiness and is much cheaper than pro-bi.
5. When you dose your horse, note how it affects his eating. Most wait to dose
until right as they leave the VC since a lot of horses won't eat after being
dosed. You can rinse the horse's mouth with water to help, but first I make
sure they've swallowed by massaging their throat.  At home, I practice getting
mine to eat right after dosing by syringing a dose, then taking them over to
the green grass of my neighbor's lawn in midwinter when they're craving fresh
grass. Veteran horse tucks in right away; it took newbie horse about 3 minutes
to "get over it" and start eating.
5. Nothing beats green grass, and if there's any to be found I'll let them
graze during holds. If a horse doesn't eat well before rides, I'll especially
try to find a place for them to graze the day before. I also stop a lot (every
2-3 hours for 15-20 minutes of grazing) while trailering since my horses don't
always drink well in the trailer and I don't elyte after the ride is over.
6. I've used 4 different brands of electrolytes and really like Perform N Win.
It works great in hot, humid climates and also seems the most palatable for
horses that HATE electrolytes.