[RC] Fw: [CTR] Electrolytes revisited - Betsy O'Shea

 At the recent region 6 convention, we were fortunate to spend the
afternoon
 at Kansas State Veterinary Teaching Hospital.  We attended a lecture on
 ulcers in horses. As I recall, ulcers are caused by stress and lack of
 forage, not electrolytes. My horse coliced after a ride because of lack of
 sufficient electrolytes. Horses can recover from ulcers, but many horses
die  of colic. Performance horses are prone to ulcers because of stress.  I
think   Heidi does a disservice to downplay the importance of electrolytes
for the
 majority of horses.  She freely admits that she has no formal studies to
 back up her opinion.I am not familiar with any studies or research that
 concluded that electrolytes were dangerous or life threatening to horses.
 But lack of supplementing with sufficient electrolytes has been shown to
be
 detrimental to horses during rides.  The harm has already been done if we
 wait and see if our horse needs electrolytes. There is plenty of
documented
 evidence and research to show that lack of electrolytes can severely
 compromise distance horses. Karen Chaton has pulled together many articles
 on ulcers and also on electrolytes.  They can be found on the home page of
 the American Endurance Ride Conference. Just  my opinion and my experience
folks.
 Betsy