[RC] How much does one consider a dose? - KimFue

I am curious for those that have taken the time to respond to the electrolyte thread, when you mention a "dose" (see below as an example) are you actually giving the recommended dosage for the particular electrolytes or are you breaking up the the recommended dosage and giving more frequently.  I think this distinction would be helpful in the discussion, especially for those that are new to the sport.  Just using the example below it seems that in a 50 mile ride that this person is giving electrolytes at frequecies less then every 15 miles and giving e-lytes around every 20 miles for the 100.  I wonder if this is the recommended dose or is the dose spread out and given more frequently.   Some of the electrolytes, such as endura max, seem pretty strong/harsh and the recommended dosage seems pretty high if I remember correctly.   I can't imagine giving a horse the full dose less then every 15 miles.  Again, I don't ride in a humid region so perhaps this is why this seems like a lot of electrolytes for a 50 mile ride.  Many instructions recommend dosing every two hours without any consideration to weather conditions or speed traveling.

I am not making these comments to be judgemental on whether electrolytes are needed or not needed.  I am just trying to make sure that I am interpreting what is posted correctly.

Kim Fuess

Horses sweat in a way that is qualitatiovely differently than humans -
I read somewhere that they excrete much more minerals than we do, I think
magnesium was one of them. I  typically use 4 doses for a 50 mile ride,
including the one right before starting, and 7-8 doses for a 100 miler.