Re: [RC] for those who use electrolytes...help those newbies - Joe Long

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 10:54:48 -0600, "Jonni" <jonnij@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

OK, So, I have sort of a challenge for those who regularly use electrolytes,
and feel they have a good understanding of "why" they do so. Can you explain
to those very new to the sport, how electrolytes work in the horses body, and
just what they do.  Why do they make the horse drink?  And, why do we not want
to give electrolytes to a very dehydrated horse. What can happen? What can
happen if a horse gets too much electrolytes?  I would love to hear these
answers in a very simplistic manner, than any newbie who lurks could
understand.

I just addressed one of these points, but I'll add a bit more.

Electrolytes are dissolved salts, essential for life.  Cells cannot function
without them.  But too much is bad, too.  Salts can only be absorbed into the
bloodstream if they are sufficiently dilute -- that's why sailors dying of
thirst cannot just drink sea water.  Doing so will just pull water from their
bloodstream, instead of putting it in.  In fact, the treatment for someone who
has drunk sea water is to have him drink LOTS of fresh water, to dilute the
salt.

When you add a "dose" of electrolytes to a horse's stomach, it must be diluted
before it can be absorbed.  Unless the horse drinks at just about the same time,
this water is pulled from the bloodstream.  It is this pulling of water from the
bloodstream into the stomach or intestines that is harmful to an already
dehydrated horse.

Sports drinks like Gatorade contain salt, but in small amounts, they're pretty
dilute.  Similarly, electrolytes need to be administered to horses in small
doses; if he needs more, give it more often, NOT larger amounts.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx