RE: [SPAM] [RC] Low-tech riding - heidi

HRM are often discussed here on ridecamp but I'm wondering if there's anybody
else not using them? I never have & don't wish to, I like to listen to my
mule/horse the 'old fashioned' way. My only personal experiences with them is
having to stop constantly during a ride when my riding buddy's HRM wasn't
working right. I'm not looking for replies that say how good they are to
have--I'm sure they are. Just wondering if I'm the only 'low techy' out
there.

No, you're not the only "low-tech" rider out there.  I don't ride or
condition with a HRM either, nor do a lot of other folks.

Are they good tools?  Yes.  If I ever get to the point of really trying
to peak a competitive horse again, I'll likely get another one.  (I
used to have one, but I used it so rarely that I gave it away.)

I do like to see folks spend a lot of ride time without one in the
beginning, just so they DO learn to listen to their horses.  I've seen
some newer riders become so mesmerized by what their HRM is telling
them that they miss things that would be obvious to a more experienced
rider, and I think the HRM in such cases gets in the way of their
learning curves.

Where I think HRMs really come into play is in managing horses that are
riding right up to the competitive edge, ridden by riders who are
sufficiently in tune to their horses that they "hear" everything else
that is going on with them, in addition to factoring in the read-out on
the HRM.  If you are not riding at that level, you don't have a great
need for one, even though they are fun and do provide some good
information.

Heidi