From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Burnett, Elly
Sent: 22 March 2006 06:11 PM
To:
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Herd bound

Since I'm avoiding studying anatomy at all costs right now, I was reading through the "horse buying woes" thread and thought of a question.  How do you all deal with herd-bound horses?  I just bought a new horse and haven't moved her to my new barn, but since I'm planning to turn her out on pasture with a gaggle of other mares, I'm assuming she'll have some problems.  Every other horse I've had has had some degree of herd-boundness.  I've never really known how to approach it.  Before, it wasn't such a big deal because I was show jumping and the arena was within sight of the herd, so that eliminated many of the more extreme problems (except at shows, but that's another story).  Any help would be super.

Elly