[RC] Old Age & Healthy - k s swigart

Ed said:

This strong possibility of my early death does not even
begin to address the possibility of diphtheria, small pox,
typhoid, cholera etc. They did a very good job of keeping
the average age of death in the 30's during most of human
history.

He does not mention food poisoning (e.g. eating spoiled food) or
starvation.  Two things which "processing" food has reduced
dramatically.  If you process foods, you can more safely store them
and/or ship them to where they are needed.

This, BTW, is true of the feeds we give our horses too.

And food processing has been so successful at solving these two problems
that there are few Americans who even recognize them as problems.

Before people started "processing" food, there was a damn good chance
that it was the food you ate that killed you....or the food you didn't
get to eat so you starved to death.

Additionally, I consider it rather ironic that there are many people out
there who are advocating "natural" lifestyles for our horses, without
realizing that wild horses are now extinct.  The only horses that exist
today are decendents of the ones that abandoned "nature" for
domesticity.

Whatever it is that the horses that weren't domesticated did in order to
survive was not very successful, since they didn't survive long enough
to reproduce.  Hardly a resounding recommendation for mimicking their
lifestyle :).

kat
Orange County, Calif.