[RC] Sandhills Ride Story - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Lara laraworden@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

It looks as though the Sandhills Stampede ride was another success! This year
my husband, Tim Worden, filled in for Patsy as ride manager. He was very
nervous and anxious, but I think he handled everything in stride! And on top of
managing, he even managed to crew for me on the 100-miler. I was a very proud
and appreciative wife! After so much talk on doing hundreds I decided to try
one and see how far we would get. I never had any intentions on finishing the
ride. I figured if we made it 50-60 miles we were doing good. I tried to treat
it as an extended training ride. People told me that the hardest part is
signing up. Boy, were they right! I went back and forth for several hours
before I actually signed my name on the dotted line for the coveted 100 miles.
But once I did, I felt better about it. The ride for me did not start out the
greatest, but ended on a high. During the first 40 some miles I rode with Bill
from Macon, Ga and libby Llop from NY. Since I was the manager's wife, I was
supposed to know the trails! HaHa! I missed a turn on the first loop, so the
three of us did an extra 10 miles. Libby and Bill we very forgiving and Libby &
I managed to make it back to camp with an actual mileage of 57 miles in. Bill
slowed down before we reached camp and I later heard he wasn't feeling to well.
It was a pleasure riding with you Bill! Libby and I headed back out on the
trail for two more loops (orange and green). By the way, if you ever get the
chance to ride with Libby, please do. She is a real treat! She even made me
feel better on the green loop when I was feeling naseated and she worked her
accupuncture magic! I was better in 10 minutes. Coming off the green loop;
however, my mare tripped and banged her front leg on a log and then on top of
it the sand started to take its toll on her hindend. We pulled at 87 miles
(actually 97 miles due to an extra 10 miles). But I was never more proud of my
mare! She gave me everything she had and then some. She ate and drank like a
champ and in my heart we completed and I know she can do it. By the way, I felt
better after a hundred than I do after a 50! Libby went on to finish around 3
am in the morning. She actually did a total of 110 miles! Way to go Libby and
Fly!!!! Also, I would like to take a moment and thank Liz Sine for leading us
back to camp on the quad in the dark. Without her we would have been forever
lost! THANKS SO MUCH to Patsy, Tim, Liz, Allison, Mike, the outstanding vet
staff and all of the volunteers. You made my first 100 mile experience the most
memorable ever!
Lara Worden