Re: [RC] Sandhills - Laney Humphrey

Great big congratulations to you Cindy for riding your horses sensibly and having their & their riders' best interests at heart. Unfortunately, what you experienced from other rideres is not atypical. Most are polite and considerate, but a few are not! In my experience, bad behavior tends to happen more often on easy, flat rides. You did the right thing to just get out of the way and continue to ride your own ride. I sure hope you'll try other rides because you seem like you've got the right ideas!
Laney

Ridecamp Guest wrote:
Please Reply to: Cindy  or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi everyone, Sandhills was my first endurance ride this past weekend. I brought two horses, and a girl who works for me exercising horses out to ride the extra horse. We were all fit for the 30 mile loop, but had already decided that we would just do the first loop and see how everyone was doing. First ride for all of us. I so just wanted to check it out, see what it was like, see the other horses and riders, etc. Anywho, the weather could not have been more pristine. Long story short...the girl I brought along ended up having a few minor issues with my horse, honestly, no big deal, and I could see she was ready to snap mentally by the end of the first loop, so we called it a day. Although, I have to say, my horses could have so easily finished the ride.
Okay, to my point. It being my first ride. This was the most determined, driven, aggressive group of riders I have ever seen. 90% of the people were polite about passing..slowed down to a fast trot, pulled wide, they could see our horses were a bit green...but 10% of the riders were what I would call dangerous. Galloping up behind us, one man yelled at us to 'get the hell out of my way', basically running our horses off of the trail. I have to add, we were pretty much at a steady trot the entire time, not plodding along at all. Just nice and steady. But, these riders were pushing their horses super hard, the horses were absolutely saturated and fatigued looking, you get the point. I saw very little trotting. A hard, flat out run. I did hear later that several got pulled.
My question is, should I expect this at every ride? Or, can I safely assume that there was a small group of yahoos at this particular ride? Do people always ride the whole thing so hard? I truly thought, pace your horse, don't push too hard, come in safe and happy.
Other than that, the ride was so well done, trails were really wonderful, weather could not have been more perfect! I plan on doing some more rides up North, soon, and will be intersted to see how it goes.
Thanks,
Cindy