[RC] Sandhills - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Jenny Edgell jedgell@xxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks to everyone who made Sandhills another successful ride!!!
We completed the 55 on Saturday in 2nd place and earned Best Condition.  I will
be the first to admit that our actual ride time was a bit of a surprise, but we
chose our pace according to our training and goals.  Unfortunately, due to the
order of the loops, we spent our entire last loop passing 30 mile riders.  I
have competed at all ride distances, at all speeds, and on a variety of horses.
All of my young horses have been nervous on their first few competitions about
being passed from behind by quickly moving horses.  Our strategy usually
involves passing and being passed a lot during our training rides, but they
still display this nervousness around new horses in new situations.  I usually
end up moving my horse off the trail or facing them towards oncoming traffic to
lower their stress level.  After a while, they do adapt.  I am certainly not
saying that anyone should feel the need to move their horse off a trail to be
passed.  Personally, I feel its the passers responsibility to locate a safe
passing location, or move off the trail to go around.  Sandhills in particular
is mainly open trails with high visibility, so generally we passed other riders
on the opposite side of the road after hollaring a ways in advance what side we
were on.  I did feel in one instance, a rider's horse in a group we were
passing was exceedingly nervous, and I slowed to a trot before passing.
Unfortunately, the lady I was riding with did not have enough warning and
continued cantering on the opposite side of the road ahead of me.  I apologize
on her behalf if this caused any undue stress, but it actually appeared that
the riders horse was more stressed by our slower presence because we were
simply passing them for a longer period of time.  But to end my
long-windedness, I just wanted to explain from one perspective, why some horse
and rider teams feel the need to continue a certain speed on wider trails while
passing in certain conditions.  At this ride in particular, we were passing
groups approximately every half mile.  Our pace was generally a canter, except
the tighter sections, where we were trotting.  For my horses sake, I prefer to
ask him to keep the pace I request of him, unless I ask him to do otherwise.
But if I allow him to slow his pace every time he encounters other horses on
the trail, I feel his concentration and momentum are broken.  This is not
generally an issue if you are only passing groups occasionally, but with such a
high frequency of passing as we encountered at the particular event, I felt it
would be detrimental to constantly slow and restart him.  I just wanted to give
one point of view.  I certainly don't think reckless passing on narrow trails
is appropriate or fair.  I have experienced it several times on narrower, more
technical trails, even having my horse collided with by another rider.  But I
understand that each riders goals and momentum differ, and I try to accomodate
the best I can according to the situation.  Like I said, I've been the turtle
and the first one in, both in 50's and limited distance.  I know passing can be
mentally taxing on both parties.  The horse passing sometimes yearns to join
the group of slower horses, and sometimes the slower horses can contain green
horses that are nervous about being passed in the rear.  All in all, I hope new
riders aren't turned off by the variety of speeds and styles of the many riders
that attend endurance.  It is sort of a take it or leave it kind of group.  But
if you give us a chance, we'll prove that its truly the most rewarding thing
you can ever experience with your horse.  Thanks again to those who contiue to
hold rides and allow us to have such amazing experiences with our horses.  I
love my horse and want the best for him.  But just as much, I want as many
people as possible to have the same experience with their horses.  Closing
note--please do not judge by a split second decision on the trail.  Most of us
are trying our best to be courteous and make sure everyone has the best
possible experience.  Just keep in mind that for the most part, we all just
really love our horses and feel blessed every time we earn a completion.

So lucky to have my amazing horses in my life...and my amazing endurance
friends-

Jenny Edgell & HRA Jamil Amhar
jedgell at vt dot edu