Re: [RC] Sandhills Stampede - steelsidedown

Sandhills was wonderful! (as usual!)

Food was great, traditional Irish dinner Friday night, homemade breads Sat
morning.  Of course same wonderful facilities, stalls, pipe corrals, real
bathrooms with showers! Trails were marked to death.  Plenty volunteers/vets.
Plenty of clean water provided in tanks on trail.  The rider meeting couldn't
have been more fun, we had a quiz on our colors, and some improv. (For those
who attended, don't forget, "No trailer trash in the bathrooms"!) We were so
spoiled!

We (riders & horses) found the terrain very fast.  One, the trails were marked
so well, there was little slowing down to find the turns.  Two, its mostly
flat, sand roads, you have the ability to ride three wide, pass, and canter
every step.  Three, there is no "food" on trail, thus you move forward every
minute (except for the water of course) there is very little "down time" out
there. (I'm sure this is one of the reasons for the nice long holds.)

My plan was a moderate plod down the trail, and just get the 4yo around 30
miles.  This proved a difficult task!  He loves to run, and there was little I
could do to convince him he shouldn't.  We compromised and cantered a bit, and
trotted a lot, even managed to disappoint him into a walk a few times.  (The
rules when we left camp were NO dumping Mom, NO rearing, NO bucking, and NO
cantering, per usual he listened to half of what I said.  But hey, he was kind
enough to leave me in the saddle ;-)  He finished with way too much energy
left, more than I had to cope with him!  Argh, gotta love babies!

Big thanks to Tim, Patsy and their gang of helpers!  See ya next year.

Jen