[RC] Abusing Horse - afwaldrip

Okay,  I will probably get alot of feedback on this post.  I am fairly new at endurance riding.  I have competed in about 8 rides in the past 2 years.  I competed in the HEart of the HIlls ride this weekend.  It was to be my 2nd 50 mile ride.  I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area which is a pretty flat area.  After completing the 50 miles I was pulled due to lameness.  The terrain was a lot rougher than I had thought it would be and then add the fact that it rained.  But, anyway, when I arrived back home my husband accused be of abusing my horse by riding such rides.  I have an arabian mare she is a little over 14 hands but she is pretty stocky. I am a heavyweight rider and my husband feels that it is abuse to ride her even 25  miles.  Have any of you ever been accused of abusing your horse because you ride endurance.  I take very good care of my mare and I think we were just not ready for the terr ain this weekend.  Does anyone have any feedback that I can pass along to my NON horse husband who just sees a money pit in the barn.

AW in Fort Worth

Try the New Netscape Mail Today!
http://mail.netscape.com