RE: Re: [RC] Oats - Lif Strand

Quoted from heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx's message at 05:07 PM 3/18/2006:
If it was so important for us to have unbroken seeds in our diets, most of us would be long dead, as our teeth would have given out and we would be unable to continue to
chew such a vital dietary component.

There are some people who would say it isn't important for humans to consume grains, as so many people have health problems related to their consumption.

Nearly ALL the food we eat is "dead" by your definition.

Yup, that's true.

yet we tend to live to healthy ripe old ages, unless we are really foolish about what we eat.

Well there's an awful lot of people who live to ripe old ages that I don't consider healthy. I can't say I know very many people at all over 60 or 65 who aren't on at least one prescription medicine. I can't think of one person over 70 that I personally know who isn't taking several prescription medicines. I don't call that healthy at all.

I can't even think of the last time I might have eaten an uncracked seed.

My point was simply that it is more nutritious to eat recently "killed" food than food that has been dead long periods of time.

Additionally, processing has added years to the lives of our domestic animals by making them able to more readily digest, stay healthier, maintain their teeth for longer, and continue to be alive and productive past the point that their teeth can reasonably grind whole grains.

And so many of our older horses are also on medications and/or suffering from degenerative disease. Again, I don't call that healthy, just old.

I'm not a nutritional expert, Heidi, and I can't argue your points well because I don't have that education. I do want to emphasize I'm not saying don't eat processed food or feed it to horses. I also want to emphasize that I am saying I believe that processed foods are less healthy than unprocessed foods or foods closest to a recently living state. I'm saying that rolled/crimped oats that have been sitting in a bag somewhere for 6 months are not going to be as nutritionally rich as oats that you crimp or roll and immediately feed. And I just can't resist saying that carrion for a scavenger is probably way healthier than kibbles for that scavenger.

Lif Strand, Research Associate
Southwest Center for Resource Analysis
Western New Mexico University
(505) 773-4897
(505) 212-0108 FAX

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.1.385 / Virus Database: 268.2.5/284 - Release Date: 3/17/2006