[RC] John Lyons stuff - L gin

Well, lot to ask. I went to his clinic, have been reading his stuff for years, read all his books have his ground training and riding manuals and DVD. For the best help you could subscribe to his mag. and join the intenet group on his site . There ares ome trainers on there who will give advice and a whole set of archives to browse.
Secondly, he was a western trainer first, and it took some time for techniques for english riders to come about . He has a cassete set out on dressage techniques and how to use them and in the last year or so some dressage on his magaxine articles.
Also the "trainer" may not be approved. Some learn then add other stuff,so he may not be a 'real' one or a ''good one" JL website has a list of "approved" trainers who he thinks have maintained a good reputation to client and horse.
Also I have done a bit of dressage riding and lessons and the two methods on the surface are incompatiable. Bad dressage is cranking the horses head in and not paying much attention to lightness and roundness. Using gimmicks and hanging on the horses mouth. Most dressage horses I met and rode are very dull in the mouth and tight. Riders often use the mouth for balance.
That being said, I have seen John Lyons on Seattle and Preacher and Zip do very refined dressage movements on a loose, light rein, even though I wouldn't consider those horses built right for dressage.(He also adds leg cues as they progress)
John Lyons premise is all on teaching the horse that you get a realise form pressure for doing the right thing. Starting with the rein as a cue...He keeps it simple, consistant, so the horse understands. But it is a different language than other more traditional methods that relay on "equipment".
The hardest thing is the rider has to train themselves to respond to the horses effort. Most riders dont' concentrate enough on the horses response. You have a goal , you break it down in the most, easiest steps to get there. You reward the horse as he tries to figure out what you want . When he gets it you relase ,even a bit of the pressure and praise him so he knows that's what you wanted. You drill on that a while, then you add modifications. Eventually you and the horse are very tuned into each other and it gets easier.
Theis horse may have been started well or right (or not) --then other riders added stuff , confusing him from the orginal ---and there is always the premise " the horse drops or rasies to the riders level". The horse may have picked up on wrong cues, etc. But one thing I like about John Lyons he has a great attitude to the horse, He doesn't let us off the hook by blaming the horse.
To be honest I took a while to understand his methods as I knew english riding first-- and his earlier work was confusing to me (I was green too)-- But his later stuff is much more refined and easier to understand. He also says he is learning and growing too.
Of course, it is your horse and you can do what you want , but here is his link to his website and you can puruse it and glean what info you wnat or need. I really recoomend his "Riding Manual - It has step by step , in depth lessons to teach a horse from first saddling and up to more refined stuff, in one manual with cards you can take with you and DVD's showing the lesson. Best investment I ever made and not nearly as $$ as other trainers. You can find them used too. The same lessosns are in his magazines , but it takes a long time to get them all .....

http://www.johnlyons.com/index.php