[RC] [RC] [RC] GPS data - Debbie Kirchner - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Erick paradigm@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have my GPS next to me now as I type this msg.  It is a Magellan 4000XL.
I'll change the settings to the smallest interval and try it out on the trail
this week.  I have always had it set at a 2 mile radius so I could "see" more
of the trail on the moving map part.

Regarding altitude, you are correct.  I have noticed in my airplane that the
altitude on my Garmin195 GPS could vary up to 100-200 feet difference from my
altimeter even after compensating for barometric pressure.  However, this is
still much better than it used to be before the military turned off the
"selective availability" option.

Questions for Don:

I understand survey GPS are using the "DGPS" technology.  The satalite error is
corrected by checking against a known position on the ground.  In aviation, the
FAA is beginning to implement the same in some intrument approaches in order to
add a vertical component to the approach.

Does your unit employ DGPS?

When marking a trail are you riding or walking?

Doesn't the unit take a position based on a time component vs. a distance
component?  In other words, it should mark your position every XX number of
seconds not every XX  number of feet, right?

If so then would the unit be more accurate the slower you go, so you would have
more data points to plot?

I would really be interested in knowing where I could get the mapping programs
you mentioned.

Wouldn't it be cool to have volunteers with GPS create maps of each endurance
ride?  That would sure be helpfull to me.  I would love to pre-ride some trails
in order to see if that is a ride I'm interested in being at, or if my horse is
ready for that.

Having a complete trail map overlayed over a USGS map at a ride would also
allow a potential rider to see what type of terrain to expect.

Cool stuff for a techno-geek idiot like me!

-Erick-