Re: [RC] Fetlock Chips - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Tracey,

  My old endurance horse, had bone chip surgery from the fetlocks.  That was about 1988.   He was an older horse then, I think he was 15 years old.  Anyway, the surgery/recovery was a very long process.  Since he was an endurance horse, that joint would have to become good and strong again for him to compete, same would go for your friends horse.  Jumpers take a long of leg abuse as well, if not worse in the front legs.  My horse, Booy, he stayed in a stall for about one month, then he would get to go out into a small paddock.  One of the problems, was with them being couped up, they want to run and buck, so we had to hand walk him for  a long time to prevent this.  After about 3 months, I was "allowed" to sit on him.  I would sit, and walk him for about 10 minutes.  Nothing else.  This went on for a few weeks,  each time I would walk him a little bit longer.  All of the gradual riding to bring him back.  Every couple weeks, I could add a little something else...maybe a short trot.  A few more minutes to the ride.  All in all, it took a year to bring back into endurance again.  But, it was worth it.  He did another 4 years of endurance competion,  did the ROC, and I was able to ride him as fast as he had be going prior to the surgery.  BUT, here the deal,  I was told by the vets, and they were right, he would develop arthritis in that joint.  He did, and that it why I had to retire him.   So, your friends horse will most likely do the same.  Something about if they operate on a joint it really ups that chance.  It may be that your friend's horse is younger too, that may make a difference in how many years they get use out of him.
It was worth it all the work and money....I would do it again for a special horse.

Jody

Tracey Lomax <bandipops@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
A friend?s horse, a large 17hh TB C-grade Showjumper had fetlock chips removed in December.  He?s been on box-rest and now is on limited small-paddock turn-out.  There?s a wealth of info on rehabbing horses after a knee chip op, or a tendon injury, but not much on fetlock chips.  Anyone know what the appropriate rehabbing regimen is for Kandara??

Tracey

Yahoo! Mail