Re: [RC] hives ..after spring shots ? Is this wierd ?/??? - agilbxr

My Paso, Alpine, reacts to his vaccines quite badly at times. He hasn't gotten hives, but he's has spiked very high fevers, and it has caused something similar to tying up.  It's very odd.  After the first reaction he had as a 5 year old, we separated his next set of shots, one vaccine every two weeks.  We wanted to see what he reacts too.  We discovered it was the Rhino-Flu vaccine that he reacted to, not the Rabies, West Nile, EWT, or strangles.  Soooo....  Alpine gets his vaccines in two sets now.  He gets everything that doesn't bother him first, then 2-3 weeks later, he gets the Rhino flu. The vet pre-medicates him for that vaccine, I think with a combination of steroid and antihistamine (I'm not 100% certain on that, she doesn't charge me for it, so it's never on the bill).  Since then, we haven't had a problem.

I would just not give that vaccine, but here in Florida, you have to vaccinate for everything.

Good luck and I hope your guy is feeling better soon.

Juli and the Herd
Alpine (I don't do shots well)
Spot (I don't care)
Merlin (I've only had two sets...I guess we'll find out)