[RC] Old Pueblo Ride - WRSINOSKY

I'm finally getting around to writing my adventure at Old Pueblo. This was my third year doing the LD.  I loved the fact Marilyn has turned it into two days. Doimas and I did both.  60 miles for the Beastie!  He even lost his big belly.

Anyway, we got down there on Friday afternoon and set up camp. The camping area is always fantastic, being on the airstrip. There is alot of room for all the campers and trailers and whatnots.

The first day was cool and got a bit windy later in the morning, but cold blooded me even rode without my jacket.  The trail was well marked, good footing and quite fast.  Vet Check was back at Base Camp.  I like having the vet checks at base camp when I come alone, but then the other 50% of the time I prefer them out of camp.  So, I guess it really doesn't matter where it is to me.

Of course, Doimas was his wild self at the beginning. He's screaming and twirling and kicking up his hind legs, ready to take off like a big bird. Roger Taylor and one of Marilyn's daughters was taking our numbers as we left and Roger told me I could give him my number and stay back.  Roger doesn't know Doimas. I just decided knucklehead wasn't going to get anything but worse, so we started off about midpack or later.  It was wonderful and Doimas got to stretch his legs...alot.  Ended up on the second loop with two women who've been doing this for a long time....Terry and Gina. They were great to ride with and moved at a pace I like.  I hope I can catch up with them either online here or at the next ride.

The dinner that night was great!  All sorts of food and awards.  Everybody got an award for completion.  That was so nice.  And I finally met Bruce Weary.  Good to put a face to a name, Bruce!  Hope to see you and your wife at the Renegade! Man!  Did it get cold that night. Thought I was going to freeze my butt off in my Suburban.  But Doimas was toasty in his blankie and could have cared less.

THe second day was a bit colder in the morning at the start, but warmed as the day progressed. With the wind blowing, it kept the temps down and the horses cool. Doimas barely broke a sweat.  And the trail was alot tougher than the first day. Lots of up and down mountains, steep, rocky in some areas, trails and some hairy spots along the sides of mountains.  I got a little anxious at a few sections, but that's because I started doing the "what if's" in my little brain.  But anyway, it was an excellent trail with good markings. The night before during the meeting, Marilyn mentioned that we would be doing a turnaround, meaning we'd come back the same trail we went out. On that trail was a tunnel under the highway. I stressed over that during the night, worrying about Doimas balking about going thru.

Wasted effort on my part. We were behind the Lawrences (who are great endurance riders and usually doing 50's) when we came to the tunnel. You had to dismount, walk thru a gate that had a bar across the bottom about a foot from the ground, then go thru this long, dark, low tunnel. Doimas just cruised right thru behind the other two horses like he's done it all his life.  Did the same thing ALONE on the return trip.  I was so PROUD of him!

Two women I've know from previous rides were there at the vet check which was held at the ranch. Lynn and Sabrina had turned back after a few miles with me that morning when Sabrina's horse started to favor his LF leg.  They decided they might as well help out, rather than sit around back at Base Camp.  Sure glad they did. Lynn held Doimas, fed me, made sure he drank and ate.  She really was a big help to me!  And Adele was there!  Straight from Guatemala.  She and Dream just couldn't pass up the entire ride, so they came for the second day.

So Doimas and I did really great.  I'm the one who came up lame this time.  My right ankle decided to start giving out about 5 miles from completion. Thank God they weren't judging me at the vet check!

Thank you Marilyn and all the people who helped you put on such a great ride. The Old Pueblo ride just keeps getting better with each passing year.

Cindy Edwards & Doimas (who is not longer fat)
Buckeye, AZ