[RC] Just a horse - a story about just a dog - mark@xxxxxxxxxx

I really liked this post-thank you.

I have to tell this story; I was the executive director and cruelty
investigator of a large SPCA for many years. I worked for a board of
directors, many who had no practical animal experience. That was
exasperating to say the least.

I had a Springer Spaniel named Kelley that went literally everywhere
with me (still have one with me all the time, another one, of course).
This dog represented the shelter in many ways including visiting
political offices, having his picture taken with donors, 'throwing' out the
first pitch at ball games and many, many other official functions. He was
the most photographed dog in the history of our county, I am sure.

One day at age 13, he was tragically hit by a car in a freak accident.
I held him in my arms as my husband euthanized him. I sat on the floor
of the x-ray room of our hospital and sobbed, but I had a board meeting
in 20 minutes and I had to pick up t he sandwiches. Life goes on. I
wrapped him in a quilt and placed him in the back of my SPCA van so I
could take him to my family's farm to bury later in the day. I
straightened the suit I was wearing, washed my face, picked up the lunch and went
to my meeting.

My voice was shaking, but I didn't cry as I told the board what had
happened and that Kelley died just half an hour before. I was pretty
proud of myself for holding it together. Many of the directors looked
uncomfortable, a couple looked sympathetic, and one looked right at me and
said, "Well, he was just a dog, you know."

My staff sent a card and flowers and collected a donation to sponsor a
cage in Kelley's name, but no one on that board ever mentioned him
again. I never forgave that particular woman and when no one said anything
else and launched right into their meeting, I knew it was time to move
on in my career.

Laura Hayes (and the current springer,11 year old Murphy, the 100 mile
dog!)