Re: [RC] Horse lists - Chrystal

LOL Tracey- I have thought the same thing myself :-) quit the parenting magazines by the time my first child was 6 months old ( and hey dog bones aren't that bad for ya-:-))  I homeschool my children- we are vegetarians we live on a farm my 11 yr old rides 50 mile rides with me- they don't have rules about what they can wear when we got out as long as it is clean and weather appropriate ( I don't think they have ever put on a pair of matched socks in their life ), I have been told that I am too lax and not hard enough on my kids as they NEED rules they NEED to be told how to dress, my kids are  expected to be responsible, compassionate and respectful otherwise................who am I to say they can't wear orange shirts with bright purple pants???My daughter at 6 or 7 wanted to sleep in the dog house outside, I said well I can't think of a reason not to, so of she went with pillows and sleeping bags and slept out there all night ( I didn't get a whole lot of sleep however as I kept checking on her thinking she would get cold and scared in the dark., or eaten by coyotes.........nope slept like a baby.:-))
The biggest ( and hardest ) lesson I have learned with my children is to trust myself- not to listen to other people and this has helped me tremendously with my horses as well no-one knows my kids or horses like I do.;-)
Your child is lucky to have a mom who thinks outside of the box. :-)
Chrystal

"Tracey Lomax" <bandipops@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

03/09/2006 12:22 PM

<ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Equinetraining@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[RC]   Horse lists

The recent discussions on Ridecamp have got me thinking....how many horse riding parents are there who voraciously join every horse list known to man, but don't belong to a single "parenting" or "child-care" list....or is it just me <g>

I became a mom three years ago.  I insisted from my first gynae appointment on having a c-section, didn't go to ante-natal classes, didn't pick up a book or magazine.  I basically just "winged it" and still am.

My child is happy, healthy and gorgeous.  When she was three months old I flipped through a baby care magazine and discovered I was doing everything wrong.  I immediately vowed never to read another baby care magazine.

I wonder what my reaction would have been if a veterinary mag would have said the same thing??

Guess it's just one of life's little ironies.....excuse me, I'm going to tell my child that it's not polite to steal the dogs' bones and chew on them....

Regards,
Tracey