[RC] transporting disease - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

Last night my "vet who has a clinic" (as opposed to my vet who does housecalls)
hosted a really nice dinner and trade show with speakers for all his clients.
One of the speakers was a vet who used to be in charge of a huge reproduction
practice in Texas, our TN state vet & a teacher at Auburn Univ and is not a Ft.
Dodge Rep. He recommended keeping your competition horses away from your brood
mares because he said that when we haul them off and expose them to disease,
even if they don't *catch* anything, they "shed virus" or something like that
when they get home and will expose those left behind. I'd never heard that
before. I innoculate my competition horses for a few more things than I do the
stand around at homes. So, that was something I learned.

I was impressed that he put a list of priorities on the screen, something like

Nutrition
Hoof Care
Teeth
and a couple of other things
Innoculations

He was a very good speaker (entertaining) and didn't push their products (often
said, "other companies make a fine product in this catagory too")

The other speaker dealt with 6 month Equine Passports (health certificates).
Something like 7 southeastern states have agreed to accept them and they are
making a nationwide bid to other states soon. They urged everyone to go ahead
and get their "Location Number" for any facility that had animals. Said *soon*
all must have lip tatoo number or microchip which will list that location for
contact on that animal. I wondered about that when many board and move. Many
states also accepted several digital photos on the form but LA, Oklahoma and
Arkansas would not. The strange thing was that if you use the microchip you are
required to carry your own reader! I don't see that catching on. Another
question was "what number" do you tatoo?

I don't mind my horse being more trackable. Should make it easier to catch
thieves, but the reader thing isn't very doable.

P.S. I accidentally got a veggie burger when the regular burgers were gone.
YUK! Looked and felt like meat...but where's the taste?

Angie