Re: [RC] Birds of a feather - Julie Fuller

Well this thread is cool! I honestly didn't realize this happened routinely when I mentioned it in my original post. Weird!

You guys with larger herds, do you notice this too? It's only been the past few years that I have had enough horses in the same field to really watch herd dynamics. (And it helps that mst of the time I can see them from the house, which is so very wonderful!)

Julie

The three white/grey horses (all arabs. two mares, one gelding. None related) tend to hang out together at my barn too (there are 9 horses there).

Maryanne Gabbani <msgabbani@xxxxxxx> wrote: Mine tend to do that too. The greys get along fine together, the bays together, and the chestnuts together. I always figured that it was just because the chestnuts were related, but that doesn't explain the greys and the bays.

"A few days later, I brought home another horse... a spoiled rotten
mustang.  She stirred everything up all over again, of course, and for
awhile, the herd split into two groups, "The Black and Whites, which
included both the newest additions, and the old pony) and (The Browns,
which included my two mares and the gelding)"

My husband and I attended a week long clinic last fall. After a
morning in the arena, and since the horses were going to be
together for a week, we turned them all into a large arena to get
some herd issues worked out. The herd divided themselves into color
groups even if they hadn't arrived together. Two Friesians in one
corner, two white Arabians in another, the Bay corner (one QH, one
Arab), the chestnut corner, etc. It was pretty amazing.