[RC] ivermectin - Dana B.

Since the advice to use wormwood came from our new resident "expert" of dubious credentials, I did a quick google search on using wormwood in horses and found the comment below from an herbalist.  Please, if anyone is even tempted to try this, do more research before administering *anything* on this woman's say so.

Dana, not a vet or an "expert" but a professional skeptic

  • Formula #1 Wormwood Combination:
    • Since this is an herb mixture and not a drug, it can legally be labeled as safe to use in animals when pregnant (which is what most other herbal wormers) BUT since this formula contains Wormwood, which is an "Emmenagogue" (An emmenagogue is an herb which encourages menstrual bleeding, and so it could induce loss of uterine lining which may cause miscarriage.) it is not considered safe by Herbalists for use in pregnant humans or animals. I recommend not give to pregnant animals. If you are using another herbal worm product, read the label or find out what is in it before you buy it, and if it contains Wormwood, you should take this into consideration. You should use Formula #1 right before breeding and then start using it again the day after the animal gives birth.
    • The chemical name for the principle active ingredient in wormwood is thujone. Thujone is a monoterpene (type of primary alcohol found in plant matter) that is often attributed with having a hallucinogenic effect. The liquor Absinthe, the popular in the 19th century, known for its mind-altering effects, is made with Wormwood. Wormwood is not reccomended for breastfeeding mothers because thujone might be passed to the baby in the mothers milk, though this has not been studied.
    • Wormwood Worm Combination contains some Black Walnut. Black Walnut is safe for most animals, but horses should not consume it because horses can have an adverse reaction to a certain mold that sometimes grows on the hulls of the black walnut. If you intend to use this formula for horses, please check the horses box when you place an order and I will mix a special formula that does not contain Black Walnut.

  • ddbpaso@xxxxxxxxx