Re: [RC] [RC] Geldings & Stallions - Kristene Smuts

He had been pastured with geldings before I bought him, and there was
one gelding that he could never be pastured with -- for some reason he
would attack it on sight.  Go figure.
Joe Long>>

OK, this brings up a few interesting points :

Case 1 : My older stallion is very even tempered, and when it comes to
the girls, is also very manageable.  The other day I went on a horsey
course where the boy was doing great all 3 days, until a particular
gelding came into the field next to the arena.  Ibn immediately lost all
interest in the proceedings and I could feel that he wanted to go beat
up the gelding.  This particular gelding was a real pain in the rear and
gave his rider all sorts of uphill.  Why only that gelding when Ibn
couldn't care less about any of the other horses - geldings or mares?

Case 2 : My young 5yo stallion broke out of a very secure camp to beat
up a stallion one camp removed 'cos that stallion was trying to beat up
the 2 youngsters in between them.  Why did he skip the two and go for
that other one?

Case 3 : Two of the babies are Ibn's boys and they are a few months
apart in age.  I also have one 4yo and one 5yo stallion, not related to
anybody, then the gelding and finally dad of the 2 babies - all in all 6
horses in the herd.  Dad will allow his 2 babies to eat with him, but
will chase the others away from the pile of hay, although the others
were there way before the babies.  Does dad know they're his kids and
therefore give them a let?

From observing the boys, it is also very clear that hormones play a
very early and strong role with individuals.  The 2 babies may be only a
few months apart in age, but the younger of the 2 displayed the typical
smell-the-pile-and-widdle-on-it at 18 months old - the older one has no
idea what those two things between his legs are for.  The 4yo stallion
also has no idea, but the 5yo is very much the boy.

As Joe says "go figure"

Kristene
South Africa

--
CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING

The contents of this e-mail and any accompanying documentation are confidential
and any use thereof, in whateverform, by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.

This message contains information intended solely for the addressee, which is
confidential and private in nature and subject to legal privilege.  If you are
not the intended recipient, you may not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or
copy this message or any file attached to this message.

Any such unauthorized use is prohibited and unlawful.  If you have received
this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail,
facsimile or telephone and thereafter delete the original message from your
machine.

Furthermore, the information contained in this message, and any attachments
thereto, is for information purposes only and may contain the personal views
and opinions of the author, which are not necessarily the views and opinions of
South African Rail Commuter Corporation (SARCC) Limited or its subsidiary.
SARCC therefore does not accept liability for any claims, loss or damages of
whatsoever nature, arising as a result of the reliance on such information by
anyone.