Re: [RC] re: mixing mares and geldings - Mary Krauss

Yowzer Heidi--what d'ya mean mares have "no physiological processes even close to menstruation"? I've a great deal of respect for your opinion because you know lots about lots, but I gotta' seriously disagree in this case. I've had both stallions and mares--and--perhaps I'm biased being a female and all--but the boys seem much less bothered by their hormones than many of the females.... My current mare is particularly bothered by her heat cycle, and I'd be willing to write her off as "pathological" if it weren't for the fact that many of my friends have mares just like her.

By the way, I didn't mean to imply that a mare should be allowed to cream someone for touching her--I just noted that it seemed cruel to bother her on purpose. My mare screamed a little uncomfortable shriek ever single time her foal latched on for over a year. She didn't kick the baby but nursing was obviously uncomfortable for her. I didn't think she should be allowed to kick the baby, but I certainly didn't mind feeling sorry for her! I also didn't assume she was pathological. She's always been sensitive and ticklish in that area and really handled her discomfort quite responsibly.

As for the pasturing issue, I think all herds are dynamic. One has to keep an eye out. That doesn't mean you don't put horses together in large groups; it just means you watch 'em and see that it's all going ok. I happen to have a mare that would kill 10 geldings in a single blow for breakfast--we used her to teach young stallions breeding manners (because, despite their prevalent use, I find breeding hobbles really disturbing). She is great at teaching a slow and careful and romantic approach by the boys--and I'm sure they're very grateful in the end. :-) In our "herd" it happens to be the geldings I feel sorry for. So sorry in fact that I'm moving the witch herself into her own paddock. As the poem goes, "so much depends...."

Mary K.