Re: [RC] [RC] re: mixing mares and geldings - Lynne Glazer

Dear Ginny.

LOL. I'm surprised you don't put your qualifications a la equine on your pet-oriented website. I find the black and white nature of your arguments damage any credibility you might have. Your inference that anyone who isn't (currently) working with a professional to get advice on horse care is also ludicrous, discounting that ordinary-non- professionals might not have learned something in all their years of horse management, which might be equivalent to your own claims. Just because someone hangs a shingle out, in a field where there is little or no certification, guarantees nothing. The average horse trainer isn't a herd behaviorist.

My "herd" can be out together 24-7 without threat from my very amorous gelding. He was gelded at 18 months, I took photos and was certain it was done entirely. He talks to all women, they love him back, he can drop and get hard. He's never tried to mount anyone, he does challenge the breeding stallion here. My mare and filly he is very bound to, screams for them if they're gone. I'm sorry, I know of entirely too many herds where what you say is NOT happening to believe your tale.

A story about a single mare being put into a geldings pasture, I think ANY new animal in that herd may have been harried--herd management is an art, not the science you're trying to impose on it.

Lynne