RE: [RC] [RC] re: mixing mares and geldings - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Well, this is exactly what was happening at my house.  I had 6 mares, and one newly made gelding.  He didn't and still doesn't realize that fact at times.  Anyway, it was a fight all day, and all night.  One of the mares would attack him when he went in after one of the other mares that was heat.    I tried this for about 2 weeks, and saw that he was going to be a constant source of turmoil in the pasture and someone was going to get hurt.  So, I put in a paddock to himself....and there is where he stays.  I am not even going to try it again.

Jody

Ginny Holsman <ginny744@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Mares will protect one another, if there are enough of them to do so; but
that requires a mare that is not in heat available to protect the mares that
are in heat, and since mares are in various stages of coming into and out of
heat, and in heat 3/4 of the time; that makes it very difficult for there to
be a mare that is not in heat to protect the ones in heat, when there are
too many geldings with too few mares!