[RC] Mares and geldings together - Dyane Smith

I have always heard that the pituitary gland influences the sensitivity to testosterone or the amount, I don't remember which.

Anyway, I have one gelding who was gelded at 13 months.  He is a real "hearts and flowers Romeo" who has been known to bring mares into heat (could have had a career as a teaser horse).  I have another, who was a crytorchid, but was operated on and I saw the vet remove both testicles (one was in the inguinal (?) canal).  He has not had the same access to mares as my first gelding, but to this day "talks" like a stallion and does that "huh, huh, huh" when you touch his chest.  The last horse was also gelded I'm not sure at what age.  He is a little afraid of mares (won't get close enough to be ponied, for example) and only "talks" to his pasture mates when he is afraid they are leaving him alone.

I would not have a mare out with them because it would engender discontent among the geldings no matter what the mare did.  That being said, when I was boarding the older Romeo in a mixed herd of 20 or so, my boy cut himself out a mare to love and a gelding buddy and these three hung out apart from the rest of the herd.

Dyane