Re: [RC] [RC] Pasture Arrangements with Mares/Geldings - Sisu West Ranch

If Ginny would come to my place this week, she could see 3 mares, who are synchronized in heat, teasing 2 of the neighbor's stallions over the fence while 4 geldings (age 2 to 22) graze completely oblivious to the action.

It is my understanding that in general females that live closely together tend to synchronize their cycles.  This can even happen in women's dorms, at least  I have been told so by friends who have lived in them.

It is kind of interesting that while most people report that in a mixed herd a mare will be the boss, for 35 years I have always had a boss gelding.  Most of the time, just like the present, he was a benevolent dictator.  That is he watched over the rest of the herd and did not allow fights or bullying when he could help it.  Of course, he does get first choice of hay piles but that is not a problem because there are always more piles than horses.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875