[RC] Riding in Yellowstone area - Debbie Lyons

For those people looking for a "western" riding experience but can't haul a horse overly far, or do not want to condition for the steep mountains, there is a nice Dude ranch called Moose Creek Ranch that I stayed at a few years ago in Driggs Idaho (right over the border from Yellowstone/Jackson Hole). A friend and I stayed in mid September. There were only 8 adults there and we got a lower rate due to being outside the vacation season. Most endurance riders wouldn't want to ride at a dude ranch but it is so steep and rugged I couldn't have gotten out of a walk in most of the trails on my best endurance horse. The horses were the most sure footed I've ever ridden, in some places I could barely get off and walk. It is absolutely beautiful country and moose and bears (including grizzlies) frequent the place. We encountered several bears and the horses didn't even snort loud at them.