Re: [RC] looking at the archives - Joe Long

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 12:13:09 -0800, "Karla Watson" <karlawatson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

So are the 108 rides she did that year close to being accurate?? I think that
more than anything blows me away. I think doing 20 a year is a stretch, but
108?? That is amazing. I call her the Bionic Woman!

The rides completed by Trilby and Les Carr during the year they competed so
vigorously for the National Mileage Championship are correct.

At that time there were no rules limiting the time allowed for a ride, or
requiring riders to be present at the start.  So some 50 mile rides allowed 24
hours to complete, so that one of them could start 10-12 hours or more after
everyone else and still complete (allowing riding two 50's at different
locations the same day).  Les and Trilby spent a lot of money traveling and
leasing horses.  If she couldn't make a ride with commercial flight connections
she would charter a small plane to take her.  I was at one of her last 100 mile
rides that season, where her commercial flight was canceled and she charted a
plane to get her there.

At the end of the ride she looked pretty frazzled.  She found a half-eaten plate
of fried chicken that someone had left, chased off the cat that was eating from
it, and chowed down!  Now THAT's hungry!!

No matter what anyone thinks of their method of competing that year, they both
showed amazing dedication to their goal, and amazing perseverance.  The winner
wasn't decided until the last day of the season.  If that isn't "endurance" I
don't know what is.

One of the results of that competition, though, was new rules limiting the time
to 12 hours per 50 miles, requiring that all riders be present at the start
(although you do not have to actually start down the trail), and limiting the
number of horses you can use for the National Mileage Championship.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx