[RC] how I got started - Marlene Moss

While I always wanted horses and got my first one at age 14, I didn’t really know what to do with them.  I wasn’t a fan of arenas or showing, but didn’t have a horse trailer, so we just rode around fields and orchards.  At age 30, I was a nervous rider, recovering from a broken back and read about endurance on a bulletin board.  I did a quick search and found Bobbi Richine’s place near me.

Shortly I had a spectacular horse that was a way more serious competitor than I knew what to do with.  We started in CTR – not her favorite, but she figured it out.  I asked my husband to go to at least one CTR and one endurance ride to help me figure things out since he wasn’t really into horses.  At our first ride, a 15 mile fun ride that was the hardest ride I’ve ever done, he decided that hanging around camp wasn’t any fun and that the people were really cool (not the spoiled showring debutantes he expected) so he wanted to ride too.  This horse helped me regain my confidence.

I’ve enjoyed both CTR and endurance although I currently have horses more suited for endurance.

I’ve told people that once you try this sport you will be hooked and try to plan your entire life around it.  I started a business making tack (www.mossrockendurance.com) which I sold when I moved and wanted to spend more time riding.  I thought I’d never want to do 100’s, but this past summer I went from thinking a career of LD would be great to attempting my first 100.  I also learned that while being cautious is good, my horses are capable of way more than I thought – especially living where we do, which is very suitable for naturally creating a very capable horse both physically and mentally.

I’ve learned a ton about riding (alas, still without the benefit of lessons which I still hope to change) and due to working with a couple different kind of adjustable saddles (Free’n’Easy and Reactor Panel) I have learned a lot about backs and am now running a business providing saddle fitting for anyone.

I think this sport is just about the best thing going and I truly hope that I can continue planning my life around ride season and my wonderful horses.  Anyone who is cautious about getting started – Just Do It!

Marlene

Marlene Moss

www.mossrockranch.com is for Sale!  Check it out.

Marlene at KineticEquineAnalysis dot com

719-351-5037 (cell)

719-748-9073 (home)