[RC] Marking Trail / Riding Drag - Aaron Turnage

When I've marked trail the Ride Managers had all the ribbons on clothespins clipped on a large piece of bailing twine.  We then hung these over the horses necks like a big fluffy pink necklace!  =)  This worked really well and we were able to carry a LOT of ribbons this way.  Could just stack those necklaces on three or four deep as necessary.  I found I had to clip one or two clothespins onto my horses mane and the twine or as it was emptied all of the clothespins would migrate down to his chest!  =P  That was an easy fix though.

I've found if you call the Ride Manager a month in advance or so, most are very excited to have help.  Marking can occur from a week to a day before the ride though, so stay flexible with your schedule.  Some rides have the Drag Riders go out behind the last people while others wait until the ride is over for safety sake.  Don't want anyone going off trail and then not having a trail to come back to!  The best thing to do is just call and volunteer your services.

Marking trail is a lot of fun.  Ride with other people and you can take turns trotting ahead, having the horse in front stop and stand to hang a ribbon while the others go past and play leap frog.  Or do target practice and try clipping them on the "fly" hanging off the side of your horse.  =)

~ Crysta
Ride Manager, Nevada Moonshine Night Ride
** We'll ribbon a couple of days before time and then out dirtbikes/4WD with the glowsticks for this ride!  **