[RC] Some Thoughts on Rider Pain - Lynne Glazer

I suspect a lot of us put up with chronic pain, and thought I'd share the tools enabling me to ride relatively pain-free. My challenge is damage to all of the neck ligaments and sacrum in two car accidents, so it means muscle groups have to be recruited to help out since the neck ligaments are blown. Of course the whiplashes from various horse mishaps have not helped, but no permanent damage from them. Used to not be able to ride more than one endurance day in a row/any distance. Now I can do multidays.

I use chiro visits and self-administered "trigger point therapy", the instructional book is "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" by Clair Davies. I've bought many copies of the book (around $12 on Amazon) for friends with various maladies--ranging from IBS, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, to carpal tunnel even, and it takes little in the way of equipment, a tennis ball in a sock and your fingers can do it. (I use Davies' "Theracane" device, $27 online, to hit the more remote trigger points with accuracy.) For years after the 2nd accident my chiro visits were no more than 3 weeks apart, then finally a month apart, and for the last several months 6 weeks. Author Davies was a piano rebuilder/tuner with crippling shoulder pain he could find no help for, so he did his homework, discovered the one myofascial pain medical text, got trained as a massage therapist and translated the medical arcana into this self-help manual "for the rest of us". It has nothing to do with accupuncture points, it's all about referred pain. Like today, I had some aching in my rhomboids (between shoulder blade and spine). Used the theracane directly on them unthinkingly, and remembered oh yeah, that pain is referred by the scalene muscles in the neck behind the "SCMs". A few minutes on 6 points with my fingers on both sides of my neck, and that buzzing pain was gone. I'll repeat the treatment several times over the next day and that should be it.

I'll look up the definition/verbiage...ah, here it is: "self applied trigger point massage works by accomplishing three things: it breaks into the chemical and neurological feedback loop that maintains the muscle contraction, it increases circulation that has been restricted by tthe contracted tissue; and it directly stretches the trigger point's knotted muscle fibers. The illustrations in this book show you how to find the trigger points that are generating your specific problems, as well as the techniques for deactivating them. Special attention has been given to designing methods of massage that do no damage to hands that may already be in trouble from overuse."

<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1572242507/103-3797622-8963862? v=glance&n=283155>

...and now back to photo editing, hope this helps someone.
Lynne